How To Use Standard Trailer Brakes
ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS TO BE USED AS A GUIDE ONLY.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THEY HAVE THE REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
TO SAFELY TOW AND OPERATE A TRAILER.
Standard trailer brakes operate via the coupling. As the car brakes, the coupling applies the trailer brakes. Below are some tips to ensure the brakes are working correctly.
Note: It is a legal requirement that all trailers over 750kg GTM have operating brakes.
Latch open (Left)
The coupling latch should be open at all times when driving forward to allow the brakes to work. If the latch is closed whilst driving forwards, the brakes will not work.
Latch closed (Right)
The coupling latch should only be closed when reversing with the trailer.
Closing the latch when reversing prevents the brakes from engaging whilst trying to reverse.
The handbrake should only be used when the trailer is stationary.
Ensure the handbrake is off before driving!
Driving with the handbrake on will cause damage to the trailers brakes, hubs & bearings.
CONTACT US TO BOOK A SERVICE OR FOR A FREE QUOTE.
Standard servicing including
Other servicing including
- Mobile Trailer Servicing
- Safety Checks
- Fleet Maintenance
- Bearing Service
- Brakes Service
- Hubs Service
- Axle Service
- Spring Service
- Suspension Service
- Wheel Service
- Coupling Service
- General Trailer Repairs
- Welding & Metal Fabrication
- Trailer Insurance Quotes
- Mobile Trailer Repairs
- Trailer Electrical Repairs
- Trailer Paint & Resprays
- Box Trailer Service & Repair
- Caged Trailer Service & Repair
- Car Trailer Service & Repair
- Motorbike Trailer Service & Repair
- Enclosed Furniture Trailer Service & Repair
- Flatbed Trailer Service & Repair
- Plant & Excavator Trailer Service & Repair
- Tradesman Trailer Service & Repair
- Caravan Service & Repair
- Camper Van Service & Repair
- Camper Trailer Service & Repair
- Horse Float Service & Repair
- Boat Trailer Service & Repair
- Jet Ski Trailer Service & Repair
- Disk Braked Trailer Service & Repair
- Drum Braked Trailer Service & Repair
- Electric Braked Trailer Service & Repair
- Hydraulic Braked Trailer Service & Repair
Towing safety guides
- General Safe Towing Guide
- Before You Tow
- Checking Your Cars Tow Rating
- Connect A Trailer
- Safely Loading A Trailer
- Safely Towing A Trailer
- Reversing a Trailer
- Long Distance Towing Tips
- Manual Handling Tips
- Trailer Load Legal Overhang Guide
Brake safety guides
Accessory safety guides
- Jockey Wheel Safety Guide
- Using A Ratchet Strap
- Trailer Ramp Safety Guide
- Trailer Cage Safety Guide
- Sack Truck Safety Guide
- Securing A Caravan Onto A Trailer
Speciality safety guides
- Car Trailer Safety Guide
- How To Use A Trailer Winch
- Motorbike Trailer Safety Guide
- Tipper Trailer Safety Guide
- Enclosed Trailer Safety Guide
Technical safety guides
- Rewire A Wire A Trailer Plug
- Jacking Up A Trailer
- Changing A Trailer Tyre
- Storing A Trailer Securely
- Coupling Lock User Guide
Other Trailer Services
Centre – For All Your Trailer Needs.
Repairs – Trailer & Caravan Servicing & Repairs.
Trailer Hire – Local & Interstate Trailer Rental Service.
Trailer Shop – Quality Trailer Parts & Accessories.
New Trailers – New Custom & Commercial Trailer Sales.