How To Use Electric Trailer Brakes
Adelaide Trailer Service & Repair – How To Use Electric Trailer Brakes.
All safety guides are provided by Adelaide Trailer Hire.
Contact Us or call us on 0412 836 296.
ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS TO BE USED AS A GUIDE ONLY.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THEY HAVE THE REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
TO SAFELY TOW AND OPERATE A TRAILER.
Electric trailer brakes operate via a brake controller located near the driver’s seat. The braking strength can be raised or lowed to suit the strength required.
Note: An electric brake controller must be used at all times when towing our electric braked trailers.
Installing the controller
- Place the controller level and straight and plug the charge cable into your 12v car charger.
- The LED screen should display the symbol below, signifying that the controller is connected.
Setting the braking strength
- Hold the handbrake in to display the braking strength.
- Whilst the handbrake is held in, roll the power wheel to choose the correct braking strength.
Braking strength required
- Empty Trailer (No Vehicle) 0 – 5.0
- Light Vehicle (900kg) 0 – 7.0
- Medium Vehicle (1500kg) 0 – 9.0
- Heavy Vehicle (2200kg) 0 +
Fine tuning the adjustment
- If the trailers brakes are locking up, turn the braking strength down.
- If the trailers brakes aren’t breaking enough, turn the braking strength up.
- There should be unison in breaking between the trailer and the towing vehicle.
- The trailers brakes should not be used to pull up the towing vehicle.
The breakaway cable will apply the brakes if the trailer disconnects from the vehicle.
- Ensure the cable is connected to the vehicle (not the shackle or chain).
- Ensure the cable is not dragging on the ground.
- Do not operate the trailer without the breakaway cable plugged in.
Primus IQ troubleshooting guide
Below are some common faults and the reason behind them. If any of these faults arise, please contact Adelaide Trailer Hire.
CONTACT US TO BOOK A SERVICE OR FOR A FREE QUOTE.
Standard servicing including
Other servicing including
- Mobile Trailer Servicing
- Safety Checks
- Fleet Maintenance
- Bearing Service
- Brakes Service
- Hubs Service
- Axle Service
- Spring Service
- Suspension Service
- Wheel Service
- Coupling Service
- General Trailer Repairs
- Welding & Metal Fabrication
- Trailer Insurance Quotes
- Mobile Trailer Repairs
- Trailer Electrical Repairs
- Trailer Paint & Resprays
- Box Trailer Service & Repair
- Caged Trailer Service & Repair
- Car Trailer Service & Repair
- Motorbike Trailer Service & Repair
- Enclosed Furniture Trailer Service & Repair
- Flatbed Trailer Service & Repair
- Plant & Excavator Trailer Service & Repair
- Tradesman Trailer Service & Repair
- Caravan Service & Repair
- Camper Van Service & Repair
- Camper Trailer Service & Repair
- Horse Float Service & Repair
- Boat Trailer Service & Repair
- Jet Ski Trailer Service & Repair
- Disk Braked Trailer Service & Repair
- Drum Braked Trailer Service & Repair
- Electric Braked Trailer Service & Repair
- Hydraulic Braked Trailer Service & Repair
Towing safety guides
- General Safe Towing Guide
- Before You Tow
- Checking Your Cars Tow Rating
- Connect A Trailer
- Safely Loading A Trailer
- Safely Towing A Trailer
- Reversing a Trailer
- Long Distance Towing Tips
- Manual Handling Tips
- Trailer Load Legal Overhang Guide
Brake safety guides
Accessory safety guides
- Jockey Wheel Safety Guide
- Using A Ratchet Strap
- Trailer Ramp Safety Guide
- Trailer Cage Safety Guide
- Sack Truck Safety Guide
- Securing A Caravan Onto A Trailer
Speciality safety guides
- Car Trailer Safety Guide
- How To Use A Trailer Winch
- Motorbike Trailer Safety Guide
- Tipper Trailer Safety Guide
- Enclosed Trailer Safety Guide
Technical safety guides
- Rewire A Wire A Trailer Plug
- Jacking Up A Trailer
- Changing A Trailer Tyre
- Storing A Trailer Securely
- Coupling Lock User Guide
Other Trailer Services
Centre – For All Your Trailer Needs.
Repairs – Trailer & Caravan Servicing & Repairs.
Trailer Hire – Local & Interstate Trailer Rental Service.
Trailer Shop – Quality Trailer Parts & Accessories.
New Trailers – New Custom & Commercial Trailer Sales.